Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Hunt for Inexpensive Book Boxes!

Bargain Hunting: 

Book Boxes


I have been on the lookout for book boxes since the beginning of summer.  Like most new teachers I went back and forth on cost verses sturdiness and really struggled on what to buy.  Our school uses Daily 5 throughout all of the grades so I wanted to take into account that my fifth graders would be accessing their boxes everyday, multiple times a day!  This means a lot of wear and tear very quickly!  I have been in a constant struggle between spending the hundred plus dollars for good plastic ones or going with the cardboard style that usually run about a dollar per box.

Here was what I narrowed it down to:

The card board style book boxes that ran around a dollar each:  (Below: Ikea's)

 
Or the durable plastic book boxes that ran around $3.50 each (Below: Really Good Stuff)


Well obviously I wanted the durable plastic book boxes but as a brand new teacher this was a little steep for me.  I was at a loss at what to do.  I knew that the cardboard ones would be broken within months, maybe even weeks, with how often we would be accessing them.  I decided to start looking around to see what I could find.

After walking around Big Lots, I stumbled upon these:



I know what your thinking: that looks pretty similar to the plastic book box from above.  Except I found this in the kitchen area of Big Lots for $1.50 each!  This is technically called an ICE BUCKET, but I am proud to call them my fifth grader's book boxes!!

They are the perfect size for books, plus very durable and the best part is I was able to get 32 matching ones for half the price of the real book boxes.


There you have it! My big save of the day was in the kitchen area!  If you are on the lookout for sturdy, durable and most importantly cheap book boxes I suggest you check out the kitchen section of a nearby store and look for ice boxes! 

 *Numbers are from:
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Back-to-School-Classroom-Decor-1367909


Have a great week, I know many teachers are back with their kiddos!  I am starting my first week of in-service and am looking forward to finishing a few things up for my classroom reveal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment